Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Why on earth do people drop litter?

It's been a while.but, take a deep breath FOR ONE OF MY RANTS!

Britain is drowning in litter. It never fails to amaze me that in this modern world of litter bins, those lovely council employees who clear up after us plus all the campaigns and exhortations to keep Britain tidy and to recycle, how many stupid people think nothing of slinging their filthy rubbish about everywhere to the detriment of everyone else. Brainless idiots.

To be fair, the countryside is far less blighted than city streets. But why even think of spoiling one of Britain's National Parks? (or any of them?) Has everyone lost any sense of this country's values?



I mean, why do people take their holidays in such places? It depends on what each particular Park has to offer, of course. Here in the North York Moors, I've nattered on long enough here about its tranquillity, its beauty, its lack of stress and the joys of feeling the wind in your hair, the cry of the curlew, the chuckling of grouse, the tinkling of the becks, the windswept heather uplands; not to mention the roadside verges which right now you can spot wild primroses peeping through the undergrowth - and discarded chocolate wrappers and empty bottles and cans?



Why oh why oh why? Every day I take a walk. Nothing strenuous or painful for me. But I love my series of little walks that show me Rosedale from all its spectacular viewpoints. Only yesterday, I took the walk closest to home - up Heygate Lane and as far as the cattle grid onto the moors - short but steep before turning back.That one only takes me three-quarters of an hour. (Yes, I am very, very  slow because I stop, look, listen and think. It's amazing how often ideas for my writing can pop into my head when I'm walking.) But in that hour what did I find? Apart from pheasants, sheep, rooks, hens and assorted bicycles - a vintage car and a couple of horses - plus an idea or two, I picked up two chocolate wrappers, one empty crisp packet, a discarded bottle of mineral water and any empty can of coke. And it's only April. Come the summer and Annie, our village caretaker will be very busy!


Home Sweet Home - rubbish free.
I took the rubbish back home and disposed of it. However, there is a large recycling bin and plenty of litter-bins in the in the centre of the village (all emptied weekly), not to mention doggy-poo bins. So I won't.

What more do these morons want? Locals with nothing else to do but pick their rubbish up for them?









1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all comments even if they disagree with my opinions - but only if they are friendly and add to the discussion. I will delete pdq any spam, insults or total irrelevancies.