Saturday, June 25, 2016

Pause for thought

I'm depressed.

Not clinically depressed, I hasten to add  - but I'm hurt; bruised and battered by all the vitriol on social media yesterday. It's time I came clean. Yes, I voted to leave. All right. All right. But hold onto your tomatoes and rotten eggs for a minute...

I voted out for several reasons - which I haven't the energy to discuss here - but not one of them is because I'm a Little Englander and am racist. That accusation wounds me so deeply I can't begin to tell you.

I have thought long and hard; almost fell out with my adult sons over it. I have been appalled by the campaign on both sides - such negativity and so many lies from both sides. However not one of my reasons was anything whatsoever to do with race. I am all for  people to travel and live anywhere in Europe. I can't see the borders will be locked. Nor do I think Europe or the rest of the world will refuse to trade with us.

I hope all the world believes that this country  (The United Kingdom) welcomes all creeds, colours and races with tolerance and kindness.

I'm feeling too upset to write any more. I live in the North of England and for years and yet we've been patronised by London for too long.  Enough. They've listened to Scotland but not us. Northern Powerhouse? Don't make me laugh. We can't even get a mobile phone signal here. So what use is the latest all-singing, all-dancing multi-app gizmo we get thrown at us? Yes, we have Broadband - but you don't invest in super-fast fibre-optics for us up here. You can fly to Edinburgh easily and get a fast train to Paris or Belgium. But try getting from here to the nearest railways station by public transport - it takes hours top get to London. Scotland is strong. Scotland is fierce. It frightens London. Wales is patronised. Northern England is patronised.

The North of England, Wales and Scotland, did much to make Britain Great. Up in the north, we had the steel, the coal and the manpower. London made all the money. We lost our coal and steel. London held onto the money. London still holds the upper hand. And Londoners are cross with us. So you all insult us.

I shall retreat and lick my wounds. I shall go up here at the very top of my garden away from everyone.



And contemplate my own 'Little England.'




Come and join me and listen to the birds and sheep living their lives regardless. All are welcome as long as you let me know first. But please don't shout.

I shall probably not blog or say anything on social media until I feel better. Nobody listens anyway. Everybody is all too busy shouting and insult-slinging.

All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

(Julian of Norwich)

3 comments:

  1. Well said, Sally! I agree with every word you've said. I was very hurt and upset by the vitriol on social media, too. And it continues today, unfortunately. My FB newsfeed is full of spitefulness and negativity. Awful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been appalled by the nastiness, and it's why I've chosen not to post anything on FB regarding the referendum because I find the negativity so draining and hard to deal with. But I agree with everything you've written.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just found your blog Sally and I live on the outskirts of Scarborough.
    I understand why you voted to leave...I very nearly did; but, I was concerned about the lack of concrete information provided by the Leave party. Initially, I was encouraged by the idea of a UK that took control and saved its NHS, provided jobs for everyone, sensibly controlled immigration( we are but a small island) and gave hope and homes to the future generations.
    But, as the bitter and angry campaign rolled on I lost faith in them and with it the brave, new Britain disappeared for me.
    I wouldn't feel bad about the Leave vote Sally. We all had a choice to make and it was a difficult one. It's early days yet and the Leave vote may yet turn out to be the more beneficial one...without the racists and trouble makers who just love to incite violence and negativity.
    I will follow your blog with interest. I love your book choices and have added some of your suggestions to my reading list.
    Good to meet you.
    Dorne x

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all comments even if they disagree with my opinions - but only if they are friendly and add to the discussion. I will delete pdq any spam, insults or total irrelevancies.